Can severe depression or grieving cause sudden and extreme confusion?

Get eval. When sx are sudden and different from what one already has had, it's always a good idea to let your doctor know and be evaluated for anything physical that might cause confusion and take things from there.
Severe Depression. Severe depression can cause sudden and extreme confusion. Loss of a loved one is devastating affecting our very core of life. It can lead to severe depression. Other stresses of relationships, work and finances can add to the depression. Severe depression is treatable with good improvement in functioning. Please see a psychiatrist for Therapy and Medication.