Whats happens while you're being tested for bipolar disorder?

Dr. John Moranville
In brief: No test
There is no test for bipolar disorder.
The diagnosis is made by clincal interview. Longitudinal history would consist of both manic and depressive episodes. For further details see my health guide on bipolar.

In brief: No test
There is no test for bipolar disorder.
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Bipolar
Bipolar I and bipolar II, In the first, manic phases are more severe, and in the second, depressive phases are more severe.
There is also cyclothymia which is a low grade version of bipolar disorder in general, where mood swings are not as severe in either direction, manic or depressive. A psychiatrist will look for extreme swings of mood as part of formulating a diagnosis as opposed to testing.

In brief: Bipolar
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Bipolar
Psychological testing gives suggestions re.
Diagnosis & differential dx, personality profile, recommendations re. Treatment approaches. Your psychiatrist performs thorough evaluation & medical workup & exam, then recommends tx approaches & plan.

In brief: Bipolar
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Eric Weisman