Im 18 years old and I have asthma. I might be overdosing on the xopenex (levalbuterol)?

Dr. Paul Carter
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: More than 2x/ week

If you need your xopenex (levalbuterol) more than 2 times per week then your asthma is poorly controlled and you need a controller medication such as flovent, asmanex, or qvar. See your doctor.

In brief: More than 2x/ week

Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Charlene Sojico

In brief: You should not be

Overdosing on xopenex (levalbuterol) if you are taking it as prescribed 1-2 puffs every 6-8 hours! you have probably been taking this for quite sometimes leading you to think that you have overdosed on the medicine.
I would suggest adding an inhaled steroid as a maintenance & use xopenex (levalbuterol) as your rescue inhaler. Very important that you continue your meds for three months, re-evaluate.Sooner if w acute attack!

In brief: You should not be

Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Nela Cordero

In brief: Bronchial Asthma

If you use xopenex (levalbuterol) more than the prescribed dose you will have the effects of tachycardia or rapid heart rate, tremors or shaking with nervousness, then you have to see your md !

In brief: Bronchial Asthma

Dr. Nela Cordero
Dr. Nela Cordero
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine