Is weight gain a side effect of yasmin (drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol) pill? Was taking Depo-Provera provera but experienced weight gain so I stopped.What are common side effects of Yasmin (drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol)?

Dr. Peter Baumann

In brief: Not weight gain

Depotprovera stimulates the appetite center in the brain and makes women taking in more calories than needed - you may gain 60 lbs.
Combination birth control pills containing estrogen make your body retain water and you may gain 2-3 pounds. While in the majority of women weight gain on birth control pills may not be an issue, individually women may gain much more for reasons not understood.

In brief: Not weight gain

Dr. Peter Baumann
Dr. Peter Baumann
Dr. Peter Baumann
Yasmin seems to promote blood clotting, though, and would not be my first choice when starting a woman on birth control pills.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham