Why are infertility rates so high?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: We wish we knew.
One reason rates appear higher than the traditional figure (15% of couples being 'infertile') is that more are delaying trying to conceive (ttc) till >35 years.
However, that does not explain all cases. The typical medical causes are blocked fallopian tubes, poor ovulation response (hormonal, other factors), inadequate sperm production (number, form, motion). Follow for ways to enhance chances.

In brief: We wish we knew.
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Natalie Burger
In brief: Multiple reasons
Certainly, one reason that infertility is becoming so common is that women are simply waiting longer to have children that in years past.
Not only do the eggs get older with time (the quality decreases), but other gynecologic issues are also more common as women age - e.g. Fibroids and polyps. These issues can also create fertility problems.

In brief: Multiple reasons
Dr. Natalie Burger
Dr. Natalie Burger
Dr. Pam Yoder
In brief: A fertility+$ link?
If the economy fails to improve, will the number of people seeing reproductive endocrinology/fertility subspecialists drop? Will people wait longer to seek a consultation if they must pay out of pocket? If paying for treatments is difficult, can they afford the lost wages and costs from having difficult pregnancies, preemies, twins/triplets? These are new questions for couples to answer now.

In brief: A fertility+$ link?
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Seth Derman
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Perception
Human reproduction is a very inefficient process.
Even a normal fertile couple has only a 1/4 chance for conception. There is a wide spread perception that infertilty has increased and this is likely fed by two factors. The public accepts infertilty as a disease and couples are seeking treatment. The other is couples are waiting longer and infertility increases dramatically with age.

In brief: Perception
Dr. Seth Derman
Dr. Seth Derman
Dr. Raj Syal
In brief: Multiple reasons
I see several reasons for increased rates of infertility.
Number one is due to older patients seeking fertility. A womens fertility drops as she ages. Obesity which leads to ovulation problems and polycystic ovarian disease. Sexually transmitted disease causing scarring and blockage of the tubes.

In brief: Multiple reasons
Dr. Raj Syal
Dr. Raj Syal
Dr. Lillian Schapiro
In brief: Not a New Problem
Yesterday, we read the story of hannah praying for a child.
There have always been women who have been unable to conceive. Now, we have many more options. The fertility advances has been a miracle for many women. I wrote a book called tick tock about my own venture as a gynecologist through the overwhelming world of infertility. I wrote it to help women facing fertility treatments

In brief: Not a New Problem
Dr. Lillian Schapiro
Dr. Lillian Schapiro
Dr. Megan Bird
In brief: That is complicated!
There are a lot of reasons for this.
But the most common: women are waiting until they are older to get pregnant and fertility naturally decreases as we age. In addition, certain infections like chlamydia can cause infertility and are very common.

In brief: That is complicated!
There are a lot of reasons for this.
Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Neeoo Chin
Fertility Medicine
In brief: 1 in 6 couples
The topic of infertility is no longer taboo, most couples are willing to seek treatment at this point in time.
Elective delay in conception could compromise egg quality, and potentially allow endometriosis to advance. Sexually transmitted diseases may cause tubal damage without much symptoms.

In brief: 1 in 6 couples
Dr. Neeoo Chin
Dr. Neeoo Chin
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
In brief: Hard to say
Are we more comfortable talking about it now then in the past? Is it because some women delay childbearing in order to go to school, work, etc? Is it something in the water like plastic byproducts, birth control hormones, steroids and growth hormones used in livestock? We don't know.

In brief: Hard to say
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Since the 60's the number of women using hormonal birth control has increased. Some speculate that this has led to hormones in the water supply which can affect men. It is highly speculative but there are higher levels of estrogen in water supplies than before
Dr. Jane Van Dis