How do I know if my child is having a growth spurt?

Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Eating more often

Growth spurts happen frequently during the first year of life.
Typically at 1 week, 3 weeks, 3 months, 6 months and 9 months you can expect some increased feeding and growing! during this time your baby will want to eat more often at night, and may be cranky. Growth spurts generally only last a few days and then your baby's schedule will go back to normal.

In brief: Eating more often

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Most of the time...

...When they grow out of clothes faster than you can buy them. Normal linear growth after 2 years of age is around 2 inches a year; if it starts going much faster than that, that's a spurt.

In brief: Most of the time...

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky