2 doctors weighed in:

Can you have a milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) overdose?

2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Family Medicine
1 doctor agrees

In brief: Yes

Especially if you have renal/kidney disease.
It will also give you a great case of diarrhea. Magnesium is an essential mineral. It is poorly absorbed by the GI tract, thus it's use as a laxative. It is excreted by the kidneys, thus with renal disease, use caution. A good dose (overdose) by mouth will usually just give a really bad case of diarrhea.

In brief: Yes

Especially if you have renal/kidney disease.
It will also give you a great case of diarrhea. Magnesium is an essential mineral. It is poorly absorbed by the GI tract, thus it's use as a laxative. It is excreted by the kidneys, thus with renal disease, use caution. A good dose (overdose) by mouth will usually just give a really bad case of diarrhea.
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Thank
Read more answers from doctors