Is a milk allergy curable?

Dr. Duane Gels
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Working on it

Several research protocols look very promising, primarily through oral desensitization (OIT) - in other words, ingesting increasing amounts over time.
However, this risks anaphylaxis, and is not ready for "prime time". Questions remain as to whether this is permanent (thus being "cured"). However, many, many of my patients (mostly youngsters) have just outgrown it with time, and remain just fine.

In brief: Working on it

Dr. Duane Gels
Dr. Duane Gels
Dr. Marc Serota
Dermatology

In brief: It can go away

There is no "cure" for milk allergy.
Usually true milk allergy is seen in babies and young children and many children may grow out of it. There are some cutting edge desensitization protocols for food allergies but these are still considered mainly experimental and are not considered cures.

In brief: It can go away

There is no "cure" for milk allergy.
Dr. Marc Serota
Dr. Marc Serota