Gums bleed when I brush my teeth & hurt when I apply pressure. I floss and use mouth wash. Can I do something myself or do I need to see the dentist?

See DDS, gingivitis. If you have a bleeding gums, it may be a sign that you are at risk for or already have gum infection. Gingivitis is a serious problem, which should be checked by a dentist. Do not delay and call your DDS for exam and treatment.
See DDS. When was the last time that you had a professional cleaning? See the dentist and have the dentist or hygienist address your concerns. They will go over home care and the proper use of dental floss in addition to brushing and using a tongue scraper.
See your Dentist. Sounds like you should have your teeth cleaned and a thorough dental exam. Periodontal disease has these symptoms you are reporting, especially this has been going on for some period of time. Be well!
See your dentist. it is best to have this evaluated to make sure that something more serious isn't going on.