How do you know if you have strep or just a sore throat?

See a doctor. The only to tell if you have strep or a sore throat is to have a throat culture.
Depends on symptoms. usually strep throat is very painful sore throat with fever, swollen lymph nodes in the neck and NO nasal congestion. If you have all those symptoms it is likely strep. If you do have nasal congestion or no lymph nodes it is much less likely to be strep. See a medical provider for a rapid throat swab strep test to confirm infection.
Symptoms/tests. The best was is to have a strep test done on your throat. There are some symptoms that make a sore throat more likely to be strep. Here they are: 1) very painful throat 2) tender lymph nodes in the neck 3) fever and 4) absence of a cough. The more of these you have, the more likely it is that you have strep.