At 12 weeks the ultrasound technician saw that my fetus has penetrated the empty sac of the vanishing twin.how could this be?

Dr. Peter Baumann

In brief: Good question

I am not sure what the ultrasound technician may have meant if he/she really stated the surviving fetus has penetrated the empty sac of the vanishing twin.
If he/she is implying that the membranes of the vanishing twin are somehow wrapping around the surviving fetus, then this is a situation that you would want to have clarified by a Maternal Fetal Medicine specialist. Discuss a referral.

In brief: Good question

Dr. Gerard Honore
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Speculative

this would require a very experienced and skillful sonographer to describe, as well as some clever interpretation.
While possible, without seeing the scan it is equally likely that the sonographer might be over-interpreting or misinterpreting the scan. (No offense to anyone is intended.) This finding is more plausible with a mono-chorionic du-amniotic pregnancy. What does your doctor think?

In brief: Speculative

Dr. Erin Robertson
General Practice

In brief: Forwarded your

question to the pros. Best wishes.

In brief: Forwarded your

question to the pros. Best wishes.
Dr. Adam Levy