Is respiratory failure a side effect of the medicines given for pulmonary fibrosis?

Dr. Michael DePietro
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: No

The drugs given for the most common type of pulmonary fibrosis, would include anti-inflammatory medicine and an immune suppressant called azathioprine.
These drugs do not cause respiratory failure per se, although suppressing the immune system may increase the risk of pneumonia, which itself can cause respirator failure, especially in the setting of lung disease.

In brief: No

Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
General Practice

In brief: Don't know

There are so many causes of respiratory failure.
I don't know the answer to your question. I would like to refer you to our healthtaps pulmonologist or a private one. My line of practice is limited in surgery and self-healing meditation to treat cancers and chronic illnesses as a secondary support of complementary medicine.

In brief: Don't know

Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology