Have a cyst on ovary that is 8 cm, will I need laparoscopy or laparotomy?

More information? It is always reasonable to start with a laparoscopy, but information can be gathered pre-operatively to decide if the ovary is more likely to be benign and removable with laparoscopy or malignant and needing laparotomy. Favorable signs include a simple vs. Complex cyst, no fluid in the abdomen, and the values of biochemical markers such as ca-125 and he4.
Depends. Once an experienced gyn surgeon has evaluated you thoroughly, they can decide the best type of surgery for a large cyst. If it is possibly a cancerous cyst or certain types of benign growths, then the surgery should be done in a way that avoids spilling the fluid into the abdomen.
Ultrasound. Ultrasound characteristics usually lead the surgeon to the correct approach. However, more often than not, this scenario could be approached laparoscopically or with robotic assistance.
Cystectomy. Most surgeons will recommend laparotomy; if several very important conditions are met some 8 cm cysts can be removed safely with a laparoscopy.