I got the stomach flu a week ago and it went away . I woke up today with the same symtoms is that normal with the flue ?

Dr. Jeffrey Juchau

In brief: Stomach Flu

This is a misnomer, it is not really the flu.
It is caused by a virus, not influenza virus, or could be food poisoning. It is not unusual to be reinfected by another virus or bacterial toxin again. Keep yourself hydrated, rest, use OTC medications as needed, see a doctor for fevers, dehydration, bloody stools

In brief: Stomach Flu

Dr. Jeffrey Juchau
Dr. Jeffrey Juchau
Dr. David Lipkin

In brief: Not the flu

Influenza doesn't cause gastrointestinal symptoms in adults.
Other viruses, tho, can cause gastroenteritis. It's possible you may have contracted a new viral infection. It's also possible your recent symptoms are due to some other medical condition. See your physician if your symptoms continue

In brief: Not the flu

Dr. David Lipkin
Dr. David Lipkin
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine