What's an eye floater?

Liquefied vitreous. The gel (vitreous) that fills in side of you eye liquefies, usually in our 50/60's, but can occur earlier in eyes that are near sighted or after an injury. New floaters warrant an exam to rule out a retinal detachment or hemorrhage.
Vitreous debris. The back of the eye is filled with a gel/fluid termed the vitreous. This is generally clear, holds things in place and can absorb most of the shocks the eye receives. Occasionally a discontinuity in this material or a bit of benign membranous debris, travels into the visual axis where it is seen as a spot termed a floater. If this is sudden occurring with light flashes etc. it needs evaluation.