I take zovirax (acyclovir) for herpes simplex (genital). I take 40 mg everyday to suppress the herpes simplex eruptions. Will this drug suppress shingles too?

There is no evidence. No there is no evidens that it will suppress shingles,The only way to prevent shingles is by taking Zostavax the Shingle Vaccine.All adults over the age of 60 are recommemded to have shingle vaccine one dose to prevent shingles Even though Zovirax (acyclovir) is used to treaas it will shorten the course if used within 48 hours of start of the rash.And the dose used is 800 MGM every 4 hours for 5 days.
That'sALotOfPills!! The FDA has not approved it for use like that unless you are immunocompromised by AIDS or Multiple Myeloma,etc. It's used 'off-label' for those(i.e. not FDA approved but seem to or may work).As far as for you, I'd bet it would be prescribed like Gatoraid if anyone thought it would work (there's so many people with Herpes out there), but since Shingles comes-on later in life, that's a lot to take!