What do I do if my baby experiences pulmonary embolism?

Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: How old?

If you are taking about a child with pulmonary embolism , this is very serious and of course treatment is anticoagulant like Heparin then Coumadin (warfarin) .
. Also need investigations for risk factors . Pe in children is very rare less than 5 in 100000.

In brief: How old?

Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Dr. Visalakshi Vallury

In brief: Call 911

Pulmonary embolism is not common in children and young adults but it can be a killer. So it is important to get help immediately.
Children with pulmonary embolism may only have difficulty breathing or breath very fast. Most children who develop a pulmonary embolism have a blood disorder which causes the blood to clot too easily.

In brief: Call 911

Dr. Visalakshi Vallury
Dr. Visalakshi Vallury
Dr. Wojciech Skrzypiec
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Blood thinners

Imperative to continue blood thinners and to do extensive hematologic and genetic testing to find the cause of thrombus formation in young age.

In brief: Blood thinners

Dr. Wojciech Skrzypiec
Dr. Wojciech Skrzypiec
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
General Practice

In brief: Emergency admission

Pulmonary embolism is a very serious disease and patient needed emergency hospitalization and usually pulmonologist will take care of them with intravenous Heparin or other anticoagulation treatment if the diagnosis is certain.
I had been in practice for many years, but have not encountered babies with pulmonary embolism. I refer your question to healthtaps pulmonologist.My practice is in surgery.

In brief: Emergency admission

Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: See A Doctor

A pulmonary embolism is serious.
It cannot be diagnosed without special tests, so you would likely not be at home and know with certainty that your child had a pe. If you are concerned, please seek attention immediately (i.e. Go straight to er).

In brief: See A Doctor

A pulmonary embolism is serious.
Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Dr. Sarosh Batlivala