I have this burning feel back of neck/upper back. Could be hair irritating the skin or what could it be?

No way to know w/out. exam. Generally, hair doesn't irritate skin because it is actually a product of skin. It would be an irritant if you had ingrown hairs, and then on top of that, inflammation or infection of the follicles. What you have is pain signaling perceived to be from superficial nerve endings that lie in your skin. http://anatomy.uams.edu/nerves_back.html. An exam is best place to start to figure out why.