My son is 5 and has strep and a ear infect. He switched from amoxicillin to augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) a day and a half later, he's had a fever since yesterday, why?

Viral Infection? It is possible that the augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) has not had enough time to kick in yet. I usually wait 3 days on 1 antibiotic before switching to a new one. However, it is also possible that your child has a secondary viral infection which will not respond to antibiotics and just needs to run its course. If the fever persists over the next day or two, you may want your child's doctor to reevaluate him.