Whats the deal with infantile spasms and autism?

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: West Syndrome
Clusters of brief flexor or extensor contractions ( spasms) with a distinct eeg pattern; can cause developmental regression.
An underlying cause is found in >75%. ~50% have a prenatal/congenital cause like abnormal cortical development , metabolic syndromes. Genetic syndromes. Tuberous sclerosis is a cause that often has autistic symptoms. Also, riskof autism goes up with any brain pathology.

In brief: West Syndrome
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Seizures?
By "spasms", do you mean seizures? Specifically, when you say "infantile spasms" are you referring to febrile (fever related) seizures, or is this more something you have observed on your own at home.
I recommend that you take the child to see his or her primary care provider for clarification.

In brief: Seizures?
Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Dr. Jeff Jacobs