What should I expect after hiatal hernia surgery?

In brief: Diet changes
Hiatal hernia surgery usually includes a stomach wrap (fundoplication).
After surgery i keep my patients on puréed foods to allow the stomach to heal. After two weeks transition to a normal balanced diet. Chew well! i start removing antacids around this time. With the wrap it is a trade off of too tight vs too loose. There is 5-10% chance of needing a second procedure to loosen or tighten it.

In brief: Diet changes
Dr. Prashant Sinha
Dr. Prashant Sinha
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Surgery
In brief: Usually
Usually this surgery is done with an anti reflux wrap.
So your reflux should go away or improve. 60% of people have bloating in the beginning and some difficulty swallowing larger pieces of food. All this should go away with time. You will also experience difficulty vomiting and belching.

In brief: Usually
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery