Why do dentists remove someone's wisdom teeth?

Prevention. To prevent future problems. Or current problems of pain, infection, crowding, for orthtodontic reasons. For best results, see an oral surgeon for consultation/recommendations.
Wisdom teeth. When wisdom teeth cause problems or food impaction they need to come out. If you are experiencing pain, swollen gums, lymph nodes and it does not go away or if you find it difficult to open your mouth, you should see a dentist for evaluation, x-ray and wisdom teeth removal.
Crowding/infections. wisdom teeth are to be removed only if they are causing crowding and there is need for braces and alignment, or they are impacted , causing infections and decay, or not in occlusion or causing food intrapment that cause further problems .