Why are pediatricians trying not to give kids antibiotics for ear infections?

Judgement call. Many a red ear drum is just a virus, or a reaction to having the tool in the canal to view it. It can also be just sterile fluid which is benign & can clear on its own. Pediatricians are not avoiding antibiotics when they see a puss level and believe it to be a bacterial infection. We are tired of finding hard to cure germs that arise from overuse of antibiotics when they are not needed.
Viral illness. is the most common cause of ear infections and viral otitis will resolve without antibiotics. In fact, antibiotics will do nothing to help them clear. All doctors are concerned about the effect of unnecessary antibiotics in the community as they encourage the development of resistant organisms leaving us unable to treat serious infections. Your child should not have any unnecessary antibiotics.