Can a urinary tract infection affect your kidneys?

Yes. Bladder infection can reach the kidneys if bladder (vesico-ureteral) reflux is present, also some bacteria have little arm like projections (fimbriae) and can crawl though the bladder valve and up ureters to kidney. Bacterial infection in the kidney is pyelonephritis which can make suject very ill & cause plenty of damage or if untreated even destroy the kidney. Thus all utis should be treated.
Yes. A urinary tract infection can start anywhere in the urinary system of which the kidneys are a part of. Usually the infection develops in the bladder but the infection, if severe enough or left untreated, can migrate up the ureters to the kidneys causing a severe infection called pyelonephritis.
Yes. The kidneys are part of the urinary tract. I hope i answer your question. My line of practice is in surgery and self-healing meditation to treat cancers and all illnesses as a secondary support management of complementary medicine.