Is radio frequency ablation (rfa) any better than evlt?

Dr. Joel Gotvald
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: RFA vs EVLT
Both treatment are very effective.
Evlt uses laser heat and rfa used radiofrequency heat. Rfa is associated with a little less pain & bruising after the procedure, but both treatment have minimal recovery time. Both are done in a doctors office and treat varicose vein disease associated with venous reflux. Radiofrequency ablation tends to be a little more expensive due the the cost of the device.

In brief: RFA vs EVLT
Both treatment are very effective.
Dr. Joel Gotvald
Dr. Joel Gotvald
2 comments
Dr. Douglas Joyce
It depends on the laser wavelength. The early lasers did cause more pain and bruising than RF. but that was many years ago. The new 1470 lasers are almost painless and rarely cause bruising . They are also more cost effective and the treatment is faster
Dr. Joel Gotvald
I agree with the comment about laser wavelength but disagree about the treatment being "faster". Newer 1470 lasers have equivalent pain & bruising when compared to radiofrequency ablation, which is born out in randomized trials of the 2 therapies. But in my experience and the experience reported in clinically trials, there is not an increased speed of laser therapy when compared to radiofrequency
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology
In brief: No
If you compare rf with the newest high wavelength endovenous lasers that use radial fibers, there is no difference, although laser is usually a little less expensive.

In brief: No
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Vein
The outcomes are the same as so is the healing

In brief: Vein
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Norman Chideckel
In brief: EVLT v VNUS
EVLT uses laser energy and the amount of energy can be adjusted depending on the circumference of the vein.
RFA or VNUS Closure has a preset temperature guide and is not adjustable. We use both in our practice but I prefer EVLT because it causes less pain, bruising and inflammation in the post procedure period.

In brief: EVLT v VNUS
Dr. Hratch Karamanoukian
Dr. Hratch Karamanoukian
Dr. Joel Gotvald
I have been doing EVLT since it first came out (for over 10 years) and have seen the improvements over the years with the newer 1470 lasers that target the water within the blood. I have also been done thousands of radiofrequency vein treatments with Covidien catheters. My results are consistent with all the published reports that show that there is no significnat difference in pain / bruising.