I had endovenous laser treatment (evlt) done on my legs 3 yrs ago and the pain is back. What would cause it?

Recurrent Pain. It could be that the treatment failed and that the vein that was treated is "open" again. Possible that another vein in your leg failed. Possible that a totally different issue, not vein related, is causing your current symptoms. I would suggest you get a follow-up ultrasound by a vein specialist to see if the condition is related to a recurrent vein problem and then go from there.
Recurrence. Unfortunately, varicose veins are never cured and no treatment can ever guarantee that you will never have any more vein trouble as long as you live. Recurrence is expected with time. The best we can do is keep them under control with periodic check ups and treatment when indicated. See your vein specialist. A venous ultrasound will identify the problem and guide the necessary treatment.