How is enbrel (etanercept) used for treating rheumatoid arthritis?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Second line.
While Enbrel (etanercept) can be used alone, it works better in tandem with methotrexate.
It is given by subcutaneous injection once per week, the dose being dependent on body size. It is also indicated for psoriatic arthritis and spondylitis. Most insurers want the patient to have been on lesser drugs. These would include incomplete response to mtx, sfz, and ho-q. It binds to tnf-alpha, which caues inflamm.

In brief: Second line.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
3 comments
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Agree with you. But I was just answering the question as it was written. I have no financial incentives or relationship with this drug or manufacturer.
Dr. Thomas Namey
The question was not how it works! Be a team player, answer questions, don't replicate an answer, & don't give unneeded info. I will censure
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Podiatry
In brief: TNF-Inhibitor
Enbrel (etanercept) acts as a tumor necrosis factor inhibitor. Tnf mediates the immune response by increasing the transport of white blood cells to sites of inflammation, and initiates and amplifies inflammation.
Inhibition of its action by Enbrel (etanercept) reduces the inflammatory response which is especially useful for treating autoimmune diseases. Hope that helps!

In brief: TNF-Inhibitor
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Dr. Wenjay Sung
3 comments
Dr. Thomas Namey
Not the question. It is second vline. The vast majority of patients with RA, PsA, and AS, can be remitted without TNF-a inhibitors. These drugs run $16,000-19,000 per year. Are you extoling their quick use? These drugs are definitely 3rd line! I have been chief of rheumatology at 3 medical schools and have trained 24 other rheumatologists. I believe the quick use of these is verging on criminal, in terms of costing the system!
Dr. Wenjay Sung
@Dr. Namey - I'm not extoling their use. Just answering the question.
Dr. Marsha Davis