What can be used to prevent urinary incontinence?

Dr. Paige Gutheil

In brief: Kegels

Kegel exercises which contract the muscles used to start and stop the urine stream increase the strength of the pelvic floor muscles which support the bladder.
This helps prevent the most common type of incontinence where control is lost with an increase in abdominal pressure (such as with a cough or sneeze) called stress incontinence.

In brief: Kegels

Dr. Paige Gutheil
Dr. Paige Gutheil
Dr. Denise Elser
in addition, maintain normal weight, avoid chronic constipation, perform some core strengthening exercises and if diabetic, keep sugars under control
Dr. Betsy Greenleaf
Gynecology

In brief: Clarify

Depends. Are you already having issues with incontinence or are you looking for ways to prevent ever having incontinence? It also depends on the type of incontinence that is occuring.
A good resource is www.voicesforpfd.org. Avoid heavy lifting, straining or constipation. Practice Kegels and pelvic floor exercises. Avoiding holding urine too long. Don't avoid fluids.

In brief: Clarify

Dr. Betsy Greenleaf
Dr. Betsy Greenleaf
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
General Practice

In brief: None

For men with benign prostatic enlargement needs surgery and for women with cystocele and weakness of muscles needs surgery.
I think I have answered your questions before. My practice is in surgery and self-healing meditation to treat cancers and chronic illnesses as a secondary support management of complementary medicine.

In brief: None

Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Eulogio Galvez