Recurrent sinusitis symptoms. Should I have endoscopic sinus surgery?

Dr. Alen Cohen
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Possibly

Endoscopic sinus surgery can definitely provide definitive relief to many patients who suffer from recurrent sinus infections and chronic sinusitis.
This decision will ultimately depend on a discussion between your ENT surgeon and you after examining you and reviewing a sinus ct scan. For more information on this visit www.Socalsinus.Com.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Alen Cohen
Dr. Alen Cohen
Dr. Robert Ramirez
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Maybe

As an allergist, i would recommend that you see one or an ent.
I would try to figure out first why this is happening. This may involve a ct of the sinuses as well as some blood tests to check the immune system for a possible immunodeficiency. An ENT would also do a rhinoscopy to try to explain the problem. Depending on these results, surgery may or may not be an option.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Robert Ramirez
Dr. Robert Ramirez
Dr. Gary Steven

In brief: Doubtful

From my viewpoint ( and i'm biased), no one should ever have sinus surgery without first getting an allergy evaluation.
If the sinus inflammation is due to allergies, the inflammation will still be there after surgery. You'll feel that the surgery "didn't work, " when in fact it did exactly what it was supposed to do - it's just the structural problems fixed by the surgery weren't the real problem.

In brief: Doubtful

Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Alen Cohen
This is not true. It's rare for us to consider surgery if an allergy evaluation and treatment course has not been tried for at least 3-6 months. For most of my patients they remain on allergy management with nasal steroid sprays even following surgery, thereby getting both structural and physiologic relief.