What kind of doctor can operate on varicose veins?

Vein doctors. Veins are treated by many kinds of physicians but physicians who dedicate their practice to the treatment of veins are usually certified by the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine and are called phlebologists. This is a board certification in vein treatment. Other physicians also treat veins including vascular surgeons, general surgeons, dermatologists and plastic surgeons.
Vascular Surgeons. Vascular surgeons are board-certifed doctors who spend 7 years in residency & fellowship to learn vein operations. They are true "vein specialists" who dedicate their careers to treating blood vessel diseases. They have hospital operating room priveleges & are considered the most highly trained. Other physicians may do vein procedures, but are not board-certified vein surgeons per the ABMS.
Phlebologist. Phlebologist are vein specialists. Many were trained as vascular surgeons, some were trained as interventional radiologist or dermatologists.