I'm 55 and have very dense, cystic breasts. I just had my yearly digital mammogram and it was inconclusive?

Define INCONCLUSIVE. After having a mammogram, the report should include a follow-up plan, listed as a birads code. This will spell out exactly what the next step should be: immediate further testing (ultrasound, compression mamm, mri), short-term follow-up, biopsy, etc. If you don't have a clear understanding of the next steps, please talk to the doctor who ordered your mammogram or see a breast specialist. Good luck.
Dense breast. Sometimes, mammogram is inconclusive, and additional test like mammo with spot compression is needed.For a very dense breast- the sensitivity of mammogram will be lower- and further testing like MRI of breast sometimes is needed.. Ask and discuss with your doctor regarding other test for example- MRI of the breast , spot compression etc, and see if that is something you can/should have.
Inconclusive. 'Inconclusive' is not part of the mammo Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System(BIRADS).In order to maintain accreditation to read mammo, a radiologist must categorize mammo findings into one of the following: incomplete(needs additional views), negative, benign, probably benign, suspicious, highly suspicious, or known cancer.So, inconclusive is not an acceptable conclusion! Speak with your doc.