Is a kidney transplant necessary to save the other kidney?

Dr. W. James Chon
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: Purpose of Renal Tx
When a person has renal failure, it is not just one kidney but both kidneys that have inadequate function.
Therefore, a new kidney is needed to assume enough kidney function so that excess electrolytes (potassium, phosphorus) and fluids can be excreted.

In brief: Purpose of Renal Tx
Dr. W. James Chon
Dr. W. James Chon
Dr. Ralph Layman
Surgery - Transplant
In brief: No
I am not exactly sure of your question but you do not need a kidney transplant unless both of your kidneys are not working.
As long as you have a working kidney, even if it is only one. You don't need a transplant.

In brief: No
Dr. Ralph Layman
Dr. Ralph Layman
Dr. Robert Dudley
In brief: No
The goal of a kidney transplant isn't to save the other kidney because usually both kidneys have failed if you need a transplant.
A single kidney transplant takes over the function of both failing kidneys.

In brief: No
Dr. Robert Dudley
Dr. Robert Dudley