17 doctors weighed in:
How safe are ritalin, (methylphenidate) dexedrine, or Adderall for add/adhd?
17 doctors weighed in

Dr. Kevin Windisch
Pediatrics
9 doctors agree
In brief: Very
If taken as prescribed and followed by a physician with training in this area of medicine these medications are generally safe and effective.

In brief: Very
If taken as prescribed and followed by a physician with training in this area of medicine these medications are generally safe and effective.
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Thank
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Pediatrics
8 doctors agree
In brief: Amer Acad Peds
The amer acad of ped published practice standards for diagnosis & treatment of adhd in children & adolescents in 2000, updating them in 2011.
Both times the recommendation is that the pediatrician must recommend the use of a stimulant medication with targeted outcomes in a properly diagnosed adhd person. These are among the safest & most effective medications used today. See my health files.

In brief: Amer Acad Peds
The amer acad of ped published practice standards for diagnosis & treatment of adhd in children & adolescents in 2000, updating them in 2011.
Both times the recommendation is that the pediatrician must recommend the use of a stimulant medication with targeted outcomes in a properly diagnosed adhd person. These are among the safest & most effective medications used today. See my health files.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Thank
Dr. Alan Ali
Psychiatry
7 doctors agree
In brief: Stimulants for adhd
Very safe as long as you follow your doctor's advise & recommendations regarding followup monitoring.

In brief: Stimulants for adhd
Very safe as long as you follow your doctor's advise & recommendations regarding followup monitoring.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Thank
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
7 doctors agree
In brief: Safe
These meds have been used for a long, long time in countless patients.
Safety is very good, even though they are misused at times. Proper dosing & monitoring are necessary. So is consistent use, and good communication with md. An experienced expert in treating adhd will make them extremely safe.

In brief: Safe
These meds have been used for a long, long time in countless patients.
Safety is very good, even though they are misused at times. Proper dosing & monitoring are necessary. So is consistent use, and good communication with md. An experienced expert in treating adhd will make them extremely safe.
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Thank
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
1 doctor agrees
In brief: They are the safest
psychotropic medications we have, the longest used & the most studied.
Methylphenidate preparations have been long-acting since 2000, Amphetamine products shortly thereafter,.allowing for a single AM dose, Each has an 80% chance of managing ADHD symptoms & a 20% chance of side effects. Titration to an optimal dose for each patient requires good doctor-patient communication &, sometimes, patience.

In brief: They are the safest
psychotropic medications we have, the longest used & the most studied.
Methylphenidate preparations have been long-acting since 2000, Amphetamine products shortly thereafter,.allowing for a single AM dose, Each has an 80% chance of managing ADHD symptoms & a 20% chance of side effects. Titration to an optimal dose for each patient requires good doctor-patient communication &, sometimes, patience.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Thank
2 comments
Dr. D. Finman
For those that need these medications, they are relatively safe. There are other behavioral and therapeutic approaches that should be considered as well.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Always use them as part of multimodal management along with behavioral therapy and environmental modifications at hime and at school (a Section 504 ) because pills don't teach skills! See CHADD.org
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Shontae Buffington
Board Certified, Pediatrics
13 years in practice
835K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors