How long is the recovery time from a kidney transplant?

Dr. Amy Friedman
Surgery - Transplant

In brief: Kidney + pt matter

All kidneys + all recipients are not equal.
The underlying condition of the patient, + the quality of the kidney (does it work right away or is dialysis needed before it starts working?) play key roles in determining the recovery time. In the best circumstance, with a live donor kidney (these almost always work immediately) + a strong patient, return to non-physical work may be possible in 4-6 wks.

In brief: Kidney + pt matter

Dr. Amy Friedman
Dr. Amy Friedman
Dr. W. James Chon
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Recovery Time

Patients usually remain hospitalized for 3-5 days.
After discharge, they get monitored in the post-transplant clinic (usually weekly clinic visits and blood work). Staples at the site of the surgery are usually removed after 3 weeks. Ureteral stent is usually removed by cystoscopy at 4-6 weeks post-Tx.

In brief: Recovery Time

Dr. W. James Chon
Dr. W. James Chon
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
General Practice

In brief: Maybe 4 weeks

I am not a renal transplant surgeon.
My guess would be about 4 weeks recovery if everything goes well post-operatively and no complications. I would refer you to our healthtaps specialists or renal transplant surgeon for correct answer.My practice is limited to neurosurgery and self-healing meditation to treat cancers and chronic illnesses as a secondary support management of complementary medicin.

In brief: Maybe 4 weeks

I am not a renal transplant surgeon.
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Arnon Rubin