Any ideas about how to explain to kids how to prevent dental caries?

In brief: Demos
I would show kids models of "normal" and also models of decayed, broken down teeth.
Then I would have spice jars filled with different amounts of sugar and had name products labeled on each one- like candy bars, soda, etc, with amount of sugar in each item. Show and tell best policy!!

In brief: Demos
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Kevin Nail
Try creating a poster/display board with good snacks/foods and bad/snacks or foods. Cariogenics foods such as candy, soda, and sugar gum are bad. Apples, carrots, and water are good for example
In brief: I do!
The government produced curriculum "open wide, trek inside" has some great ideas.
Synopsis: lots of different kind of bacteria live in your mouth. And they help us digest our food. They eat what we eat, and "poop" acid that hurts our teeth. Brushing our teeth keeps the bacteria off our teeth. Eating healthy foods means they make less acid, and toothpaste with Fluoride helps fix any acid damage.

In brief: I do!
Dr. Jennifer Holtzman
Dr. Jennifer Holtzman
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric
In brief: That depends on the
age of the child.
Start by saying you want them to have a nice smile and healthy teeth. They can help by keeping their teeth clean and eating healthy foods. If old enough you can explain that bacteria (cavity bugs) eat any extra food that is left on our teeth. This helps the bacteria grow strong and they make poison, called acid, that hurts our teeth by making cavities (holes) in our teeth.

In brief: That depends on the
age of the child.
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Paul Takemoto
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Exposure
tell them that exposing the teeth to acids or sugar causes the start of cavities.
the shorter the enamel is exposed to the acids or sugar, the less the chance for cavities. Avoid sugar, and acid, and if exposed, wash it away, brush and floss. Unfortunately, no brush bristle can get into the grooves in the chewing surfaces, so avoidance is best.

In brief: Exposure
Dr. Paul Takemoto
Dr. Paul Takemoto
Dr. Kevin Nail
Demi's....show them good foods And bad foods
Dr. Michael Dolby
Cosmetic Surgery
In brief: Kids-cavities
Let them know that sugar bugs are in everyones mouth and in order to keep them from eating our teeth, we have to brush our teeth for 2 minutes and floss EVERY NIGHT! Kids that get in the healthy habit of brushing and flossing before bedtime, consistently, have far less dental problems.

In brief: Kids-cavities
Dr. Michael Dolby
Dr. Michael Dolby
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
In brief: C a dentist.
The best way to get started on good habits in life is via a professional that specialized in the area; dentist or oral hygienist would be the best way to start, and be there with the kids.
This way, the explanations and recommendations are not coming from some 'naggy' parent, but from a doc who will box their ears in, if they don't listen up. (i know, then you'll sue).

In brief: C a dentist.
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Howard Schneider
I know this answer was meant to be somewhat humorous but it is answers like this that help create fearful dental patients. Dentists do not box children's ears in and to even suggest this the a child is irresponsible, not funny.
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry
In brief: Prevention
My colleagues gave you some good answers.
Remember that kids will imitate what they see you do. Give them healthy foods, take good care of your own teeth, work with your dentist and hygienist, and have the patience to teach your kids the best habits.. There are some apps that help little kids brush for 2 minutes .

In brief: Prevention
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Cindy Juster