My dentist gave me denavir (penciclovir) for canker sores and I have used as directed ut they are still there?

Dr. David Epstein
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Get Valcyclovir

canker sores are painful in the mouth and are usually caused by the herpes virus.
Stress, chocolate etc.. Can cause these to become more prevalent and more painful. Valcyclovir is an antiviral drug that your doctor or dentist can prescribe for you that should help alleviate the pain within a day. However if it does not respond to it. It may not be viral and will respond to laser therapy

In brief: Get Valcyclovir

Dr. David Epstein
Dr. David Epstein
Dr. Alan Steinbach
recurrent sores INSIDE the mouth, one or two at a time and only every month or after an injury may be apthous ulcers, and respond to steroids like triamcinalone in orabase that helps the medication stick to the ulcer.
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry

In brief: Other remedies

There are other medications like zovirax (acyclovir) which can be prescribed.
I would personally use laser to quickly help my patient.

In brief: Other remedies

Dr. James Wright
Dr. James Wright
Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: B VITAMINS

Canker sores are actually linked to digestive malfunction and there is some evidence that taking vitamin b complex can assist in healing/ preventing them. I also find that tea tree oil on a qtip on the canker sore can speed healing( does sting).
Look at the chinese herbaceuticals on www.Franzcenter.Com as the schmoove there has produced good results as well.

In brief: B VITAMINS

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Sherly Alex
Dentistry

In brief: Canker sores

Canker sores usually heal on its own in about a week or two.
You can use warm salt rinses directly on the sore to alleviate pain. If the sores continue to persist, or are large or painful, re-visit your dentist. Depending on the nature and severity of the sore, dentists can provide an alternate prescription and antimicrobial mouth rinses to reduce the pain.

In brief: Canker sores

Dr. Sherly Alex
Dr. Sherly Alex