How dangerous is it to have a kidney transplanted?

Dr. Amy Friedman
Surgery - Transplant
In brief: Safer than dialysis
Risk assessment is a major part of the txp team's evaluation process.
Only pts who are expected to survive at least 3 years should be transplanted, since that is 1 of the key measures used by the gov't to evaluate txp programs. Prolonged dialysis, however, lowers the chance of doing well as pts age + become sicker. If a pt can't walk 1 block (or equivalent activity) pre-txp, survival is unlikely.

In brief: Safer than dialysis
Dr. Amy Friedman
Dr. Amy Friedman
Dr. Stuart Flechner
The real question is how will kidney failure affect my life? A kidney transplant is one way to treat kidney failure (dialysis is the other). Each has advantages and disadvantages which should be carefully weighed. The majority of transplant recipients I know feel that a transplant provides a more normal life style.
Dr. W. James Chon
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: Risks
It is a major surgery that requires general anesthesia.
A potential recipient will undergo an extensive eval to make sure that there are no contraindication for the surgery. With any type of surgery, there will be post-surgical complications (bleeding, infections, etc). Kidney transplant recipients will be taking 2-3 anti-rejection meds which raises the risk of infections.

In brief: Risks
Dr. W. James Chon
Dr. W. James Chon
Dr. Robert Dudley
In brief: Surgery has risks
All surgeries are potentially serious.
A kidney transplant has significant risks but the benefits usually outweigh the risks.

In brief: Surgery has risks
All surgeries are potentially serious.
Dr. Robert Dudley
Dr. Robert Dudley
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
General Practice
In brief: All surgeries
All surgeries have risks even a simple appendectomy.
The risks and complications of all surgeries are much less when done by a well trained experienced surgeons. At present there are many well trained transplant surgeons in the bay area. My line of practice is mainly assisitng in neurosurgery and teaches self-healing meditation to treat cancers and chronic illnesses as a secondary support treatmen.

In brief: All surgeries
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Eulogio Galvez