Can you have two kidneys transplanted?

Dr. Robert Dudley

In brief: No

Only one kidney is transplanted because that's all you need to live normally.
If however, that kidney fails, sometimes you can receive another kidney transplant.

In brief: No

Dr. Robert Dudley
Dr. Robert Dudley
Dr. Amy Friedman
Surgery - Transplant

In brief: Sometimes 2 are used

A typical txp uses only 1 because the function of that organ suffices to support life.
The living donor can survive with 1 remaining kidney. A deceased donor's kidneys can be used to benefit 2 different pts - crucial with the severe organ shortage. But 2 small pediatric kidneys may kept en bloc permitting use of large vessels, or 2 adult kidneys with low GFR are strategies to expand the donor pool.

In brief: Sometimes 2 are used

Dr. Amy Friedman
Dr. Amy Friedman
Dr. W. James Chon
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

On rare occasions, some patients are offered a pair of kidneys from an older donor and have two kidneys transplanted during the surgery.

Dr. W. James Chon
Dr. W. James Chon
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
General Practice

My honest opinion is yes, but not advisable to do two renal transplants on the same patient, on the same day.
Very high risks. Do the bad kidney first.I maybe wrong, i would refer you to our healthtaps specialists or private renal transplant surgeons for correct answer. My practice is limited to assisting in neurosurgery and self-healing meditation to treat cancers as a secondary support treatme.

Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Jack Hinkle