Can kidney transplants take place in small children?

Dr. Amy Friedman
Surgery - Transplant
In brief: Over 40 lbs or so
Fortunately, not many small children develop chronic kidney failure and require transplants.
However, once they reach a minimum size of approximately 40 lbs, they are candidates for a transplant. The adult sized kidney is placed in the abdomen (if a woman's belly can stretch to hold a 9 month pregnancy, a child's belly can stretch to hold the kidney). Results are usually excellent.

In brief: Over 40 lbs or so
Dr. Amy Friedman
Dr. Amy Friedman
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
General Practice
My honest opinion is yes.
I would like to refer you to our healthtaps pediatrician for the correct answer. My practice is in adults in surgery and self-healing meditation to treat cancers and chronic illnesses as a secondary support management of complementary medicine.

My honest opinion is yes.
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Jonathan Jassey