Are kids born in need of a kidney transplant?

Can happen. Children can be born without kidneys or kidney function at all. It will be hard for them to survive. Many in fact also have other congenital anomalies including severe brain deformities which limit their survival. Early childhood renal failure is usually first treated with dialysis in order to restore nutrition and growth. Transplant comes later.
Yes. Rarely; and unfortunately yes. There are cases where an organ does not form properly; or form at all(called agenesis) which may require transplantation. Hopefully these can be detected by pre-natal care, and screening through ultrasonography, before term so the treatment plan can be established and prepared.