Can I mix claritin, (loratadine) Pepcid complete and drink alcohol? I have the Asian flush as they call it and get rapid heart beat, headache, red flush+warmth.

Dr. Andrew Seibert
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: You can, but…

The Asian flush, as you term it , is caused by an enzyme which makes you metabolize alcohol into acetaldehyde.
Since this is a genetic issue, Pepcid and Claritin (loratadine) will not help, although you can take them with alcohol in reasonable doses. Also, there is an increased risk of esophageal cancer with alcohol intake in patients with the Asian flush, so you should avoid regular drinking. Good luck.

In brief: You can, but…

Dr. Andrew Seibert
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine