Are bone grafts always needed after a tooth extraction?

Dr. William Dapper
Dentistry

In brief: May be beneficial

Bone grafts can be beneficial if an implant is to placed.
The grafts act as a scaffold, resorb and ultimately are replaced by your own bone or form a bridge with your bone. If an implant is not planned it will be beneficial to place a graft which isn't resorbed, one in which will remain for an extended period and support the adjacent native bone, providing a better esthetic, functional prosthesis.

In brief: May be beneficial

Dr. William Dapper
Dr. William Dapper
Dr. SCOTT HARWOOD
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: No

Not if it is an area where you are not contemplating doing an implant or if the area already has a sufficient quantity and quality of bone.

In brief: No

Dr. SCOTT HARWOOD
Dr. SCOTT HARWOOD
Dr. Pietro Seni
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Bone graft

Although I am not a dentist I do not believe so as a matter of fact a bone graft should be necessary only on very few occasions specially when the cavity left after the extraction is too large and is a danger that the mandibule bone could fracture.

In brief: Bone graft

Dr. Pietro Seni
Dr. Pietro Seni
Dr. Phillip Frist
Sorry, I must disagree. We're the tooth is extracted there will be significant bone loss. If you were to wisely consider an implant you must have enough bone to place it and without grafting this probably will not be the case
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: No

Bone grafts following a tooth extraction are not always needed.
However, they will help to promote an ideal bone shape for an implant, if so desired. Given your age, i would suggest this. If not, the bone graft will help to preserve the bony architecture under a fixed bridge or removable prosthesis, for a much longer period of time. However, they are not absolutely necessary. Keep smiling !

In brief: No

Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Not always

If you plan to have a dental implant at that site, definitely you will need a bone graft.
Sometimes, bone grafts can be placed where a future bridge will be placed. Otherwise it is not necessary.

In brief: Not always

Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Aaron Cook
Dentistry

In brief: Not always

After a tooth is extracted, the bone will shrink, which can have negative cosmetic and structural consequences.
A graft would help prevent/slow the boneloss in the area, leading to a more esthetic/natural result if you elect to replace the tooth.It may be required if you replace the tooth with an implant. But no, it is not always required--i've extracted many teeth without grafting.

In brief: Not always

Dr. Aaron Cook
Dr. Aaron Cook
Dr. Vicken Poochikian