When are the best times to check blood sugars if only done twice a day?

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Testing blood sugar

Assuming that you have type 2 diabetes and not taking insulin, your best opportunities would be to get a fasting blood sugar and also a blood sugar 2 hours following different meals at different times of the day when you're doing post prandial checks.

In brief: Testing blood sugar

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Different times

With two tests a day, you can check blood sugars at many different times, just not all on the same day.
It all depends on your problem areas. I usually suggest testing most mornings and some pre- lunch, pre-supper, & bedtime checks. I also suggest testing before & 2 hours after a typical meal every once in a while. Your own doc may have different preferences, so be sure to ask him/her!

In brief: Different times

Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Natalie Hodge

In brief: After meals

The best way to see your blood sugar at its worst, is to check it an hour or two after a meal.
If you check first thing in the morning then it will be more likely to be normal. In addition to your prescribed Remember to utilize exercise to bring your blood sugars down!

In brief: After meals

Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Marsha Davis