How dangerous is Accutane I'm 19 and have had mild acne since age 14. I've been on several types of pills and cream, none which have been helpful. Male?

Consider low dose... Isotretinoin (Roaccutane, Oratane) is a retinoid which reduces the amount of sebum made in the sebaceous glands, and so reduces the amount of acne. It dries the skin and can cause cracked lips, nosebleeds. Must be monitored by your Dr as it can affect liver fn & lipids and can cause depression. See www.goodfellowunit.org/gems/acne-low-dose-isotretinoin-10-mg-daily-effective-fewer-side-effects.
Accutane. is only for moderate to severe cystic acne, not mild pustular acne. There are significant side effects including severe dryness of skin and lips, depression and even suicidal thoughts. In females it can cause birth defects if they should become pregnant. Thanks for trusting HealthTap!
Side effects...? Accutane or isotretinoin is the most effective of all the antiacne treatments available. Approx 65 percent of pts are cured with a 20 week course and 90 percent after a second course is given 9-12 months later. The common side effects are dryness, peeling of the lips, nose bleeds and sun sensitivity. The more serious ones include birth defects, depression, infl bowel disease, closing growth plate.