I take avinza (morphine) for chronic pain. Now I have severe constipation?

Dr. Joseph De santi

In brief: Constipation Concern

Chronic pain management will most assuredly lead to constipation due to the receptors present in the gut, which are affected by the opioids used for pain control.
This is physiologic and unavoidable. To help, increase your fluid intake dramatically, increase soluble and insoluble fiber sources and consider a mild stimulant laxative like senna. An osmotic laxative may also become a chronic need.

In brief: Constipation Concern

Dr. Joseph De santi
Dr. Joseph De santi
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Try everything

Major drawback to narcotics is that they are extremely constipating.
Miralax, (polyethylene glycol) water, fiber, stool softeners can all be tried, alone or in combination.

In brief: Try everything

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey