Is alcoholics anonymous effective?

Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: If u work the progra

It is effective provide you work the program.

In brief: If u work the progra

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown

In brief: Yes, if you go

The more meetings you attend, the more likely you are to get and stay sober. Research shows a "dose-response" relationship for aa--the more meetings you attend, the better.

In brief: Yes, if you go

Dr. Elizabeth Howell
Dr. Elizabeth Howell
Dr. Adam Front
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Wrong question

People often ask about the effectiveness of a particular treatment for alcoholism or other addictions.
It is not the treatment but the person committing an a daily basis to following what they have learned. As aa itself says in its book, "we are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition." (p 85, alcoholics anonymous).

In brief: Wrong question

Dr. Adam Front
Dr. Adam Front
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: AA

With commitment & hard work on maintaining sobriety & the support system around you, sure it can be very effective.

In brief: AA

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: It can be

Very effective. That doesn't mean that it is easy.
It certainly only works "if you work it". I am a psychiatrist. I treat many patients who have alcohol dependence. I am thinking back and i can't remember any who were having success with sobriety who weren't working a 12 step program.

In brief: It can be