2009 nejm published 2 studies saying vertebroplasties/kyphoplasties were no better than sham procedures. Why? I have vcf and what should I believe/do?

Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: See spine surgeon

The two studies referenced (buchbinder and kallmes) had some serious issues pertaining to the study design and were not reviewed by peer journals more appropriate for such procedures (spine, jrl of neurosurgery, jbjs, etc.
). The vertos ii study was better designed and showed significant improvements. Talk with your surgeon. I still perform both...Helps patients!

In brief: See spine surgeon

Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Dr. Jiab Suleiman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: I do not believe so

Verteroplasty is a good procdure if done for the diagnosis and perform in the right hands(spine surgeon).

In brief: I do not believe so

Dr. Jiab Suleiman
Dr. Jiab Suleiman
Dr. Arnon Rubin