My husband has cirrosis of the liver due to hepc, if he needed a transplant could I give him half of my liver since it regenerates, if we are a match?

Dr. Stephen Cheng
Surgery - Transplant
In brief: Yes, but...
Be very careful with choosing the transplant center to have these operations.
The donor operation is risky with a steep learning curve. Complication rates (both major and minor complications) for donors run somewhere between 40-50%. If you are not close to an experienced live-donor liver transplant center, you may be much better off staying with deceased donor liver transplant.

In brief: Yes, but...
Dr. Stephen Cheng
Dr. Stephen Cheng
Dr. Bac Nguyen
In brief: Wow..that is love
I commend you for being so thoughtful and generous.
Partial-liver donation can be done and often donors do quite well with few serious complications. Is it good or adequate for the recipient is another story and so i would suggest talking to your and his docs to discuss all the pros/cons of doing so. We need more kind people like you in this crazy world. Good luck.

In brief: Wow..that is love
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
2 comments
Dr. Bac Nguyen
It often works for both if you "match well" in term of medical compatibility. Best of luck to you.
Dr. Edward Smith
I love your answer.
Dr. Arnon Rubin