How does a gastroenterologist treat IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)?

Depends. It depends on whether or not you have constipation predominant or diarrhea predominant IBS. Most Gi doctors I see treat it with miralax (polyethylene glycol) and a good diet high in fiber.
IBS. Different medications are used based on the symptoms of the IBS. Some may have perdominantly diarrhea others may have constipation.
IBS. IBS May be predominantly diarrhea episodes or primarily constipation but can be a mixture of both. Medication is available for those with persistent constipation. Dietary advice often consists of asking the patient to keep track of what foods cause symptoms such as salads,fruits,etc. In constipation problems emphasis is on adequate fiber and fluid intake.