Do nursing homes give some patients sleeping pills without telling their kids?

Dr. Tom Harrington
In brief: Nursing home meds
I suspect since your parent is in the nursing home you could ask the nursing staff what meds your parent is on.
I do not have time to review with the family everytime what meds I have their parent on. This is a good question esp if there is confusion or other issues.

In brief: Nursing home meds
Dr. Tom Harrington
Dr. Tom Harrington
Dr. Sanjay Kumar
In brief: Family pressure
My experience is that it is a a daughter who insists that her parent be prescribed the sleeping pill that they have always taken at home.
Otherwise, they change the doctor to one who is is willing to do so!

In brief: Family pressure
Dr. Sanjay Kumar
Dr. Sanjay Kumar
Dr. Shontae Buffington